Saturday, June 21, 2008

Let there be Disharmony

So, one post with value thinking for once. Yes, I have a bias against value thinking, because I am bad at it, ja, ja!. But I have to admit that it is the only way to really appreciate art in its multiple manifestations. I am sure that is has to have internal consistency, if not, the appreciation of "master pieces" would be completely random, and there wouldn't be any great masters of any type of art. Also it should be able to withstand the aggression from multiculturality, as there a lot of values that are different through the cultures, but the mechanisms on how to apply them should be the same...or not? I don't really know. I only dabble into value thinking with my raw uneducated appreciation, and see if it stands the trial against other people with more experience. Could Value thinking be only empirically gained? I would say no, because the artist itself has to have some judgement of its work, whichever form it takes, and we have great artists that produced only one marvelous work or artist that have started in an age were they couldn't have acquired such an exquisite level of experience that could explain their level of proficiency.
Another thought that I had was...Could I actually reason about value thinking? By definition value thinking is personal, because it interacts with different opinions that you have formed through your perceptual life, and obviously none of us, even twins have the same perceptual life. But then I realized that I was making a reasoning error, conflating the object of thought with the mechanism of thought. In a more understandable example, you may not understand the mechanics that underlie how a car works, but after observing somebody drive, you can actually make very accurate predictions of what the car is going to do, depending on the driver's actions. So you could use a certain type of meta-thinking to analyse the characteristic of how value thinking works, even if you shouldn't use non value thinking to evaluate the opinion (defined as the value that person X gives to object Y) that somebody forms about something, because it would be misapplying the thought analysis tool, and the result that you would get would be of no value to the type of reasoning you used.
Oh my...Well, I was supposed to use value thinking in this post, not to discuss ABOUT value thinking...You can attribute it to another of my thinking defects, that is thought pathway shift, where I start with one line of reasoning, and I see another branch that I like better and I go towards it, forgetting the first one...and you see, it's happening again
So now to our main topic.
I wanted to talk about this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfNoEYR2-8

I have to be sincere. I should hate this video. I am not a big fan of electronic music (although i like chiptunes when it's well made), and I am a big proponent of harmony and symmetry.
When you listen to this video, you realize that the music is disharmonious...but it's actually on purpose! The beautiful woman dancing (masako yasumoto) obviously is an asset to the video, but I actually ran the video without looking at it, and I still loved the music. The handling of the elements of disharmony in the music, associating them to repetitive patterns of music or synchronized loops in the video actually enhances the feeling of shift in the usual pattern of musical presentation, but actually makes it more beautiful. Ms. Yasumoto's dancing is phenomenal, even if I am sure that I am underestimating her technical proficiency. Her ability to gracefully execute asymmetric patterns of music surprised me, and I actually enjoyed seeing how she handled the rough parts of music score. The editor of the video had a great understanding of the superposition of harmonic and asymmetric motifs and used the video loops in a great fashion.
I remember a phrase in an old comic book that I read a long, long time ago, where one hero actually disables the all powerful villain's tool with a simple concept. He introduced disharmony in between the parts of the weapon, and in that way he was able to win the unwinnable battle. The phrase is the title for this post, because as soon as I finished seeing the video, I wished for the director, Hiroshi Kizu, to continue introducing more of this beautiful combination of disharmony in the world...so
LET THERE BE DISHARMONY!

Ah, that feels good...Value thinking at its best...for me at least, and that's all that matters.
Well, it's time to think another thought
Bye

No comments: